Why do we import pets and why should you buy a pet from Pets Habitat?
Pets Habitat LLC is a family run business, with owners present at the shop on daily basis. The business has not been left in hands of staff to do as they please or to chat around while animals are being ignored. Strict protocol is in place at our store when it comes to the care of our animals. Although we sell dogs, cats and some small pets, we will talk about dogs in general on this page.
Let’s face facts. There are no serious dog breeders in UAE. There is no kennel club, where any locally bred puppies may be registered. 80% of expatriate population has neither time nor desire to get into serious breeding programs. Lack of proper space and weather conditions are other contributing factors as to why people don’t breed dogs in UAE. As such, you cannot buy a locally bred puppy from an ethically responsible breeder after having seen the mother and pups as you would back home.
In this case, when most pups are imported from various countries, you, as a buyer, deserve some assurance that the pup you are considering to buy is from a healthy, home raised environment and has not been picked up from a “puppy mill” or a “puppy farm”, or any other commercial facility where several breeds are bred in large numbers in cages or similar environment. Even aside from very obvious ethical reasons, it is well known fact: home bred and raised puppies are more social and make better family pets than those raised in commercial “puppy mill” settings with minimal human contact. The fact that our pups are from home based background is clearly evident from their detailed health report, friendly disposition & social behaviour towards humans and other pets alike. We invite you to come and experience this difference first hand at our store. You will notice clear difference in our puppies, when you observe our puppy is eager to be picked up by you, he is trying to win your attention with all he can & he is not shying back to the darkest corner of the pan!
We would rather not comment on how some farms or small pet stores operate in Dubai, but here is a glimpse of the stringent process & policies we have put in place, and we follow these as religiously as humanly possible. Please read and be assured: the puppy you take home from Pets Habitat is more likely to be a trouble-free pet, you will be proud to say “I got my pet at Pets Habitat”.
As owners of this business, we are proud to have been adopting many stray cats and dogs since 1996, as well as having experience with several parrot species, small exotic pets and variety of snakes and other reptiles for over a decade before starting a pet store. So, WE WILL NOT SUPPORT PUPPY MILLS OR FARMS and WILL NOT TOLERATE ANY FORM OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS!
If you have the patience, please read on.
Process at source
We have involved some highly reliable and ethical people to work with us in EU. These are retired vets, biology field professors & passionate hobbyist breeders, for whom rearing and exporting pups is as much a hobby as a viable extra income.
- Since the actual breeder is neither equipped nor ready or interested to handle the export procedure, our pups are purchased from the breeder by one of our associates (as mentioned above), but only after thorough health check.
- For a minimum of 30 days purchased puppies stay at home with one of our associates in EU. This is the time when any required vaccinations are done or repeated, and the puppies blood samples are sent to the lab for rabies titer testing (as per UAE import requirement).
- Veterinarian still monitors the puppies during this waiting period for any health issues. If any concern is noticed the puppy will most often be returned to the breeder for treatment & will not be exported to us.
- Our puppies always travel in large sized crates. We apply Central European code of conduct and ethics, distinguished and reputed when it comes to animal transportation. The animals are meticulously cared for at airport holding areas.
- Currently we import mostly from Hungary or Belgium, depending on specialized breeds. We are open to possibilities working with other countries, but, frankly, it is very difficult to find responsible people whom we can trust with such a delicate task, and who are willing to go through trouble of ethically sourcing every litter (tedious, time consuming legwork!). We are also somewhat limited to EU, as coming from anywhere farther the puppy would be subjected to longer flights.
Please note, all above listed process points have on-going associated costs involved: vet bills, blood tests, at least month’s boarding expenses, ground & air transport costs, travel boxes, import permits & inspection charges in Dubai, not to mention ever soaring breeders rates.
Upon arrival in UAE
I must bring to your attention one simple fact - Pets Habitat will never bring a puppy directly from airport to shop for sale (unlike most other pet stores that believe in quick turnaround of pets for faster financial gain). Our strict protocol is continually and accurately followed, and documentary proof of steps taken is available upon request.
At the shop
- Upon puppies arrival to Dubai airport they are picked up in time (in fact our staff is always there ahead of time just in case) and are driven directly to Pets Habitat owners’ home. The puppies are voluntarily kept under observation for a minimum of 7 days in a big villa with plenty of playtime in the large garden.
- During this observation period puppies are closely monitored for appetite, body temperature and activity level in line with the breed. This information is recorded in puppy’s in-house health chart.
- Any vaccinations deemed necessary are completed by Pets Habitat.
- All puppies are checked by locally based vet to ensure they have no serious health issues. If any minor problem is detected due to weather or diet change, puppy is given proper treatment and time to recover / adjust to local conditions and new diet formula.
- Puppies are brought to the shop only upon our vet’s complete satisfaction of good health. Vet health report is accompanying every puppy.
- All puppies will be pre-screened for Parvovirus/Distemper and any such lethal viruses by default.
Free training session with every pup purchased
- Upon arrival to our store the puppies are washed and groomed by our professional groomers.
- Puppies are introduced to the play pens where they remain in company of other puppies. This helps the animals to socialize, avoid boredom of a cage and demonstrate temperament: dominant or submissive, barking or quiet, playful or laid back. We believe it is important for our customers to observe our pets in a pack. Only then you may get a glimpse of the real character and possible future personality implications of individual puppy.
- When deemed necessary, some pets are separated if they are excessively bullied by others or when they bully the others too much.
- Medium breed dogs are taken for daily exercise/walks at sundown for about 1-2 hours.
- Meticulous feeding schedule is followed.
- Specific food formula is fed to each breed of puppy, depending on nutritional and growth requirements. For example, in our shop you will never see Beagle or Cocker Spaniel being fed a diet meant for a Chihuahua, Toy Pomeranian or Yorkie. We feed Royal Canin and/or other premium brands to all our pets for optimal and proper growth potential of each breed. We feel, few other pet stores pay such close & detailed attention to these seemingly minor factors, which end up being of paramount importance if your pet has to remain healthy and grow as it should without digestive or growth issues.
- Our healthy, well socialized puppy most often goes to his new home pre-trained to pee & poo on the newspaper. Many medium breed pups are pre-trained to pee & poo outside in the garden or sand.
We offer one free training session with every pup purchased at Pets Habitat. Our expert dog trainer, who holds experience of decades, will visit your home and provide some useful tips on how to housebreak your puppy further or general obedience training. You may request additional lessons from the trainer at a nominal fee. (This service is only available in Dubai & Sharjah).
Yes, we admit, it is ideal to buy a pet directly from a breeder. However, in UAE, where it is extremely rare, we strive to infuse some sense into import and sale of ethically sourced pet animals. As it is a family run business where the pets & all other animals have ruled the house for years, it is somewhat easier for us, compared to other pet stores, who do not pay scrupulous attention to the initial care any young animal essentially requires. Our pets come with peace of mind, save hassle of frequent trips to the vet and thousands of Dirhams on vet bills. Too good to be true? Ask for references of our customers and talk to them.
So, next time you are enticed by a cute, cheap puppy at a farm or a small pet store, think twice and ask for a description of his/her journey from country of origin to the shop just to start the conversation. You will often get an indifferent attitude from the shop keeper. Once again, we welcome you to compare us after you have visited all other pet stores/farms in UAE!